News Archive of Ireland International News Agency

Sean Connolly

Case against Eamon Kelly murder accused put back until New Year

Special Criminal Court

The case against a Dublin man charged with murdering veteran criminal Eamon Kelly has been put back until the New Year.

In December last year Sean Connolly (34), of Bernard Curtis House, Bluebell, appeared before a special sitting of the Special Criminal Court charged with murdering Mr Kelly at Furry Park Road, Killester on Dublin’s north-side, on December 4th, 2012.

Mr Connolly was also charged with IRA membership and with the possession of a firearm on the same occasion.

Counsel for the accused man, Ms Siobhan Ni Chulachain BL, this morning told the non-jury court that she was not in a position to ….read more

Outside Stock

Pig-farmer Donal Connaughton granted bail pending appeal

Court of Criminal Appeal

A pig farmer who was jailed for 12 months for ordering two repossession men to strip naked and get into a pen with an agitated boar has been granted bail pending an appeal against his conviction.

Last month, Donal Connaughton, (55), with and address at Newtowncashel, Co Longford, was sentenced to 12 months in prison by Judge Tony Hunt at Longford Circuit Criminal Court.

Connaughton had been found guilty by a jury in December 2012 of two counts of false imprisonment, two charges of threatening to cause serious harm, one count of assault, and two of criminal damage at JAC Pigs Ltd ….read more

Balbriggan-courthouse

Balbriggan District Court round-up

District Courts

Man charged with criminal damage and arson remanded on continuing bail

A MAN who is alleged to have crashed a car into a garden wall and set fire to the vehicle had his case adjourned until January at Balbriggan District Court.

Alan Bathe (29) is charged with criminal damage of a garden wall on Flemington Lane in Balbriggan on November 10th. He is further charged with unauthorised carriage in a vehicle and arson at the same place on the same date.

Sergeant Tony Tighe told the court that the Director of Public Prosecution has directed summary disposal.

He said Bathe, who is originally from ….read more

Irish Court of Criminal Appeal

Dangerous rapist granted bail

Court of Criminal Appeal

A rapist who was described as a “serious threat to the women of Cork” has been granted bail pending an appeal against the reactivation of the suspended portion of his 18-year sentence.

Last February John English (36) was sent back to jail for five years for not complying with the conditions of his release from prison on an 18-year sentence for the rape of an Australian woman he had met in a bar in Cork City.

In 2004 he was sentenced to 18 years, with five years suspended, after pleading guilty to raping the Australian tourist in November 2002. English has previous ….read more

Balbriggan-courthouse

Thief's game-stealing plan foiled

District Courts

A THIEF who used a foil-lined baby bag to steal €600 worth of PlayStation games from a Balbriggan supermarket may avoid a prison sentence if he is deemed suitable for community service.

Montes Parulea (20) of Birchwood Heights, Springfiend in Tallaght, pleaded guilty before Balbriggan District Court to the theft of ten PlayStation games valued at €603 from Tesco Xpress at Millfield in Balbriggan on November 28th.

Sergeant Tony Tighe gave evidence that Parulea entered the supermarket with another person and placed the items in the foil-lined baby bag. He paid for one item and left the shop without paying for the ….read more

Outside Stock

Jury to begin deliberations in Cavan murder trial

Central Criminal Court

The jury is due to begin deliberating in the trial of a Polish national accused of murdering a Romanian man in Co. Cavan last year.

Przemyslaw Trebacz (35) of Bramble Rise, Killynebber, Cavan has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Costel Catalin Cretu (38) at Connolly Court, Connolly Street, Cavan between October 13 and 14, 2012.

Mr Trebacz has pleaded guilty to criminal damage to a door belonging to Brendan Cosgrove at Connolly Court on October 13, 2012.

The Central Criminal Court has heard that Mr Cretu was guarding two prostitutes in the apartment when he was stabbed twice.

The accused told gardai ….read more

  • Become a Courts News Ireland Subscriber

    Sign-up today for full reports on the proceedings of the Central Criminal Court Ireland, the Special Criminal Court, the Court of Criminal Appeal and High Court extradition.

    As a subscriber, you'll have priority access to the full stories as soon as they are filed.

    If you represent a company or institution interested in subscribing to Courts News Ireland, please contact enquiries@courtsnewsireland.ie for more information about Group Subscriptions.

    If you're a newspaper professional or broadcaster interested in acquiring a licence to publish our content, please click subscribe and select the "Publisher's Account" option to have a Courts News Ireland representative contact you.

  • Get alerts for
    every new story

    Register now to receive alerts when new stories are posted to Courts News Ireland.