News Archive of Ireland International News Agency

Dessie OHare

"Border Fox" jailed for seven years by non-jury court

Special Criminal Court

(Pictured: Dessie O’Hare. Credit: Collins)

Former INLA man Dessie O’Hare, who was known as “The Border Fox”, has been jailed by the Special Criminal Court for seven years for evicting a family from their home and for leading a “disturbingly violent” attack on another man.

Presiding judge Mr Justice Tony Hunt said today that the violent side of O’Hare’s personality was not in remission and was “a source of continuing concern”. His threat to society had “not completely abated”, he remarked.

O’Hare was an “enthusiastic participant” in the assault of one man and admitted he had been employed to carry out ….read more

Patrick Quirke19

Case against Quirke "forensically barren", prosecution tell jury

Central Criminal Court

(Pictured: Mr Patrick Quirke. Credit: Collins)

The prosecution case against farmer Patrick Quirke, who denies murdering his love rival Bobby ‘Mr Moonlight’ Ryan, is “forensically barren” but calls on the support of the jury’s common sense, lawyers for the State have said.

Michael Bowman SC told the jury of six men and six women that while Mr Quirke retains the presumption of innocence, when they look at the evidence they will be compelled to find him guilty of murder.

Mr Quirke (50) of Breanshamore, Co Tipperary has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Bobby Ryan, a part-time DJ known as Mr ….read more

Gordon Elliot

CAB claims stake in Cheltenham novice winner was bought with proceeds of crime

High Court

(Pictured: Witness Mr Gordon Elliott, who gave evidence today. Credit: Collins)

Grand National winning horse trainer Gordon Elliott has told the High Court that he never spoke to the majority owner of a horse that the Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) claim was purchased using the proceeds of crime.

CAB alleges that John Boylan (32), aka John Power, of Forest Hill, Rathcoole, Co Dublin, is involved in drug dealing in the Clondalkin area. He disputes the bureau’s claim that he purchased 90 per cent of the horse, named Labaik, through the proceeds of crime.

Mr Boylan has brought his own proceedings against CAB ….read more

Dessie OHare Old

Dessie O'Hare: The Border Fox

Special Criminal Court

Journalist Diarmaid MacDermott covered the 1988 trial of Dessie O’Hare when he was jailed for 40 years for the kidnap of dentist John O’Grady in 1987. Here he remembers the dramatic sentence hearing.

I was in court today when Dessie O’Hare, the so called “Border Fox”, self-confessed mass murderer, would-be extortionist, criminal and torturer, was sent back to jail for seven years by the Special Criminal Court.

I had sat in the same court 31 years ago, then based at the imposing and historic Green Street courthouse, when O’Hare was jailed for 40 years for the barbaric torture and imprisonment of dentist ….read more

Laura Kenna

10 years for woman who sliced civil servant's throat and pleaded insanity

Central Criminal Court

(Pictured: Laura Kenna. Credit: Collins)

A 36-year-old woman has been jailed for 10 years for attempting to murder a civil servant walking home from work in Dublin two years ago. The judge praised the victim, describing her as brave and ‘lucky that she is still with us’.

Laura Kenna, of no fixed abode, was found guilty by a jury last month of attempting to murder Fionnuala Burke on Lower Drumcondra Road in the capital on January 3, 2017, and of assault causing serious harm to her on the same occasion.

Kenna had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to both counts, ….read more

CCJ inside court

Serial sex offender Cooke loses appeal against 14-year sentence

Court of Appeal

A serial sex offender convicted of raping a boy and sexually abusing another, has lost an appeal against the severity of his 14-year jail term.

Kenneth Cooke (56), of Limekiln Green, Walkinstown, Dublin, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to 21 counts of sexually assaulting a boy between January 2000 and July 2003 when the boy was aged between 11 and 13 years of age.

He had pleaded not guilty to 56 counts of indecently assaulting another boy between December 1980 and December 1985 and was convicted by a jury.

Judge Patricia Ryan imposed a nine year sentence with four ….read more

  • Become a Courts News Ireland Subscriber

    Sign-up today for full reports on the proceedings of the Central Criminal Court Ireland, the Special Criminal Court, the Court of Criminal Appeal and High Court extradition.

    As a subscriber, you'll have priority access to the full stories as soon as they are filed.

    If you represent a company or institution interested in subscribing to Courts News Ireland, please contact enquiries@courtsnewsireland.ie for more information about Group Subscriptions.

    If you're a newspaper professional or broadcaster interested in acquiring a licence to publish our content, please click subscribe and select the "Publisher's Account" option to have a Courts News Ireland representative contact you.

  • Get alerts for
    every new story

    Register now to receive alerts when new stories are posted to Courts News Ireland.