News Archive of Ireland International News Agency

Swords-courthouse

Charity worker told gardai he was a garda member and told them to 'f**k off'

District Courts

A CHARITY WORKER told gardai he was a member of An Garda Siochana and when they asked for his official ID he told them to ‘f**k off and mind your own business,’ Swords District Court has heard.

Liam O’Reilly (27) was intoxicated and highly obnoxious when gardai approached O’Reilly, who was with a group of other men involved in an altercation outside a fast food shop in Swords at 3am.

O’Reilly of Heatherfield in Bailieborough in Co Cavan pleaded guilty to being intoxicated, using threatening and abusive behaviour and refusing to give gardai his name on Main Street in Swords on October ….read more

Swords-courthouse

Swords District Court round-up

District Courts

A MOTORIST who drove his car while disqualified has been sentenced to four months in prison and disqualified from driving for six years.

Kevin McCabe (23) of Tower View Heights in Portrane, Co Dublin pleaded guilty before Swords District Court to driving without insurance and driving without a driving licence at Turvey Green in Donabate on August 16th, 2013.

Garda Barry O’Connor gave evidence that at 2am he spotted a blue Ford Escort being driven erratically. He stopped McCabe who was driving the car and he was disqualified from driving at the time.

Defence solicitor Ms Fiona Darcy said the 23-year-old Tesco worker ….read more

Outside Stock Close

Man jailed for life for murdering father-of-one

Central Criminal Court

A man has been jailed for life at the Central Criminal Court for the murder of a father-of-one in north Dublin.

Andrew Gibney (21) of Drumheath Avenue, Mulhuddart had pleaded not guilty to murdering Gerard Burnett (28) at Castlecurragh Vale, Mulhuddart on August 21, 2012.

Mr Burnett suffered 30 stab wounds after he was attacked by a group of men outside his girlfriend’s house and was pronounced dead in hospital a short time later.

Gibney told gardai that Mr Burnett stabbed him in the shoulder with a screwdriver four years previously but they had since made amends.

The jury of nine men and three ….read more

DSC_0184

Eight month suspended sentence and ten year ban for dangerous driving offence

District Courts

A MAN has been given an eight month suspended sentence and disqualified from driving for a total of ten years after he was driving his moped in a dangerous manner and failed to stop for gardai.

Michael Fay (22) caused gardai to chase him on foot and search for him for 15 minutes after he drove off onto a green area in a Swords estate.

Fay of Castlegrange Way in Swords, Co Dublin pleaded guilty before Swords District Court to two counts of dangerous driving on October 26th, 2013 at Jugback Lane in Swords. He further pleaded guilty to non payment of ….read more

Irish Special Criminal Court

Closing speeches in garda surveillance trial

Special Criminal Court

Closing speeches have been heard in the IRA membership trial of a man who has admitted taking photos of the Dublin headquarters of a number of specialist garda units.

Corey Mulhall (43) was arrested in September 2012 after detectives observed suspicious activity at the Harcourt Hotel close to the garda complex on Harcourt Square. The Harcourt Square building is home to the Special Detective Unit, whose tasks include monitoring the activities of dissident republicans.

The accused man, of Daletree Court, Ballycullen, Dublin 24, has pleaded not guilty to membership of an unlawful organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Oglaigh na ….read more

Martin Maloney 1.1

Hardy Buck to stand trial in May

District Courts

HARDY Bucks star Martin Maloney, who denies attacking two security men while he was making an appearance at a pub in Dublin, will stand trial in May.

The 30-year-old actor, from Bollingbrook Drive, Swinford, Co. Mayo has pleaded not guilty to two assault charges following an alleged row with bouncers about a queue to toilets at The Big Tree pub.

He faces two counts under Section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act for assault causing harm to Brian Smith and Mark O’Shaughnessy, on October 9, 2012.

Today, a judge ordered that the entertainer’s non-jury trial at Dublin District Court is ….read more

  • Become a Courts News Ireland Subscriber

    Sign-up today for full reports on the proceedings of the Central Criminal Court Ireland, the Special Criminal Court, the Court of Criminal Appeal and High Court extradition.

    As a subscriber, you'll have priority access to the full stories as soon as they are filed.

    If you represent a company or institution interested in subscribing to Courts News Ireland, please contact enquiries@courtsnewsireland.ie for more information about Group Subscriptions.

    If you're a newspaper professional or broadcaster interested in acquiring a licence to publish our content, please click subscribe and select the "Publisher's Account" option to have a Courts News Ireland representative contact you.

  • Get alerts for
    every new story

    Register now to receive alerts when new stories are posted to Courts News Ireland.