News Archive of Ireland International News Agency

David Fortune

Double killer jailed for 12 years for stabbing father to death

Central Criminal Court

(File Picture: David Fortune. Credit: Collins)

A convicted killer who stabbed his father to death in his own home, where he “should have felt safe”, has been jailed for 12 years by a judge at the Central Criminal Court.

Delivering sentence today Ms Justice Eileen Creedon said the deceased, Gerry Fortune, was “enjoying a quiet afternoon in his own home” watching the All Ireland Hurling final, when his son David Fortune armed himself with a knife and stabbed him to death.

Ms Justice Creedon said Gerry Fortune had shown no threat to his son and had tried to calm and reassure David when ….read more

Jason Reed

High level member of transnational crime gang had €350k in cash and Rolexes

Special Criminal Court

(Pictured: Jason Reed. Credit: Collins)

A high level member of a transnational crime gang who was targeted by gardai will be sentenced next month after he was caught with more than €350k in crime cash.

Jason Reed (40) was also found to have five luxury Rolex watches, an encrypted Aquarius phone and to have purchased a mobile home for cash, despite having no source of income.

Reed, of Maelduin, Dunshaughlin, Co Meath, pleaded guilty to money laundering at his home address after €32,330 and £390 (€441) was found there on May 11 of last year.

Reed also pleaded guilty to money laundering and ….read more

justice new

Teen held knife outside house where Cameron Blair was murdered, court hears

Central Criminal Court

A teenage boy held a knife high above his head and pointed it at party-goers outside a house in Cork city where 20-year-old college student Cameron Blair was murdered, the Central Criminal Court was told today.

The court also heard during today’s sentence hearing that the now 19-year-old accused had pulled up his top, revealing his waistband, when his 14-year-old friend and co-accused told him: “Give it to me, I’ll shank one of them.”

Evidence was also given that the defendant told gardai that he had earlier picked up the knife from the kitchen floor of the house “to scare” the ….read more

Gerard Cervi

Man pleads not guilty to murder and attempted murder of boxing coach Pete Taylor

Central Criminal Court

(Pictured: Gerard Cervi. Credit: Collins)

A 34-year-old man has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to the murder of Bobby Messett and the attempted murder of two other men, including well-known boxing coach Pete Taylor.

Gerard Cervi is charged with murdering Mr Messett (50) at Bray Boxing Club, Bray, Co Wicklow, on June 5, 2018.

Mr Cervi of the East Wall area in Dublin 3, is also charged with the attempted murder of boxing trainer Pete Taylor and Ian Britton on the same date and location.

Dressed in a navy jumper, navy tie and dark jeans, the accused was arraigned before ….read more

Four Courts

DPP challenges declaration that IRA conviction was miscarriage of justice

High Court

A High Court challenge has been brought by the DPP against the Special Criminal Court’s decision that a man’s conviction for IRA membership was a miscarriage of justice.

The court made the finding in respect of 47-year-old Michael Connolly, of Grange Drive in Dundalk, Co Louth, who spent some 14 months in prison.

Mr Connolly had denied a charge of IRA membership, brought after he was observed by gardaí driving in convoy on December 16th, 2014, with another man who was then found with two improvised explosive devices.

His original conviction in the Special Criminal Court (SCC) in 2017, where he ….read more

Garda stock5

Retired garda denies 'waiting for more calls' before arresting suspect in threats case

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court

A retired senior garda detective has denied his team was “waiting for more calls” to be made on an illegally-held prison phone before arresting a convicted rapist for questioning.

Michael Murray (50), formerly of Seafield Road, Killiney, Co Dublin, is on trial at Dublin Circuit Court in Dublin, charged with making death threats in late 2014 and early 2015 against the two barristers who prosecuted him for rape; Dominic McGinn SC and Tony McGillicuddy BL.

He is also charged with harassing the woman he is convicted of raping by advertising her online as a prostitute in early 2015 and of doing the ….read more

  • Become a Courts News Ireland Subscriber

    Sign-up today for full reports on the proceedings of the Central Criminal Court Ireland, the Special Criminal Court, the Court of Criminal Appeal and High Court extradition.

    As a subscriber, you'll have priority access to the full stories as soon as they are filed.

    If you represent a company or institution interested in subscribing to Courts News Ireland, please contact enquiries@courtsnewsireland.ie for more information about Group Subscriptions.

    If you're a newspaper professional or broadcaster interested in acquiring a licence to publish our content, please click subscribe and select the "Publisher's Account" option to have a Courts News Ireland representative contact you.